.

Grayson Elementary School

Flag as Inappropriate

100% Were impressed
<p>The first school in Grayson, Tripp Academy, opened in the spring of 1882. In 1900, a two-story school was built on the lot where Grayson Elementary School now stands in the heart of Grayson. The land was donated by the late Moses McConnell, as long as it is always used for school purposes. For many years it was the only school in Grayson; it burned to the ground in the 1940s and was then rebuilt by members of the community.</p>
<p>In 1957, when Grayson High School was consolidated with Snellville High School to become South Gwinnett High School, the two-story brick building was replaced with the current structure to become Grayson Elementary School, which is what it has remained since. With the explosion of growth in Gwinnett County's population in the 1980s, officials tried to accommodate the extra students in trailers or by rezoning the district to farm students out to Norton, Magill, Pharr and Cooper elementary schools. Additions to the school were built in 1998 and although the school retains its original historic "rock" facade, the school itself has been gutted and remodeled. It added an outdoor classroom in the 1990s and has a complete television studio and indoor gym. Because of its prime location in downtown Grayson, the school has retained its reputation as being the heart of the community.</p>
460 Grayson Pkwy, Grayson, GA 30017
(770) 963-7189
  • Fax: 770-682-4151
  • Hours: Mon - Fri, 8:50am - 3:20pm
Share a review or post about this business.
Posts awaiting your approval 0