Paul Slater, the man who was shot five times by a Loganville mother after breaking into her home in January, has been sentenced to 25 years, with 10 to serve, according to My Fox Atlanta. Slater was charged with first degree burglary and possession of tools in the commission of a crime. He had pleaded not guilty two weeks ago.
Alcovy Judicial Circuit District Attorney Layla Zon said Slater entered a non-negotiated plea, meaning he was asking the judge for less than prosecutors' sentencing recommendation.
"He received a sentence of 25/10, and he will likely serve a great amount of that 10-year sentence because it is a residential burglary," Zon said. "The circumstances of this case certainly warrant a longer confinement sentence, and hopefully the Parole Board will take the facts of this case into consideration."
Although he told the judge he has six kids and never meant to hurt anyone, Slater allegedly chased Melinda Herman and her 9-year-old twins through their home during the invasion. However, Slater denied that he pursued the family, according to WSB-TV.
"I knocked on the door. I tried to take every precaution to make sure I was going into a vacant home," he said, according to WSB-TV.
Slater had been recovering at Gwinnett Medical Center after being shot by Herman when he confronted her hiding in a closet with her children. Once he was released, he was transported to Walton County Detention Center.
- Man Shot by Loganville Mom to Be Arraigned Tuesday
- UPDATE: Loganville Mother Shoots Burglar Several Times
- Friday's Shooting of a Burglar in Loganville Has Local Residents Flocking to Gun Stores
- Burglar Shot by Loganville Mother 'Recovering' from His Injuries
- 911 Tape of Loganville Burglar Shooting Released