The winner for this month’s Radon Advisor $100 CASH Give Away is George Robbins of Lawrenceville Georgia.
Although answering the questions correctly was not a requirement to be entered in the drawing, George did score 100% on the quiz.
Please take just a minute to “Like” us on Facebook www.facebook.com/radonadvisor and Share us with your friends. Radon education and testing SAVES LIVES and you can help – Thanks in advance for telling the people that you love and getting your home PROFESSIONALLY tested for radon.
The correct answers are as follows…
1. I tested my home years ago and I never have to test again.
False - The EPA recommends checking your home for radon every 2 years.
2. Radon smells like rotten eggs or sulfur.
False - Radon is odorless, invisible radioactive gas that can only be found through testing.
3. Radon is responsible for more deaths than drunk driving.
True - The estimates are that more than 21,000 people this year will die due to radon exposure.
4. Only older homes have problems with radon.
False - The age of the home has no bearing on radon levels. The EPA, Surgeon General and American Medical Association all recommend that EVERY home be tested for radon.
5. Radon is only found in homes with basements.
False - Homes on basements, crawl spaces and slabs all have a risk of elevated radon levels.
6. Do it yourself radon kits are as accurate as professional radon testing.
False - Environmental factors such as humidity and barometric pressure can influence reading of passive test. You wouldn't use the scissors from the kitchen drawer to cut your own hair would you? Professionals with the best tools will yield the best most accurate results.
7. It is VERY difficult and VERY expensive to fix a home with elevated levels of radon.
False - Lowering radon levels in a home typically cost the same or less than other household repair projects. Leaky gutters will not result in cancer but elevated radon levels might.
8. The EPA, Surgeon General and the American Medical Associate recommend that EVERY home be tested for radon.
True - Every home should be tested for radon.
9. Small children and animals may breathe higher levels of radon gas compared to a 6 foot tall adult.
True - Radon is typically concentrated at higher levels near the source which is decaying uranium in the soil.
10. My neighbor tested their home and the level was low so I am safe.
False - Every home has its own unique soil mixture under it. It is common to see homes that have very low levels beside homes which have very high levels. The ONLY way to know is to have your home tested.
Although George Robbins was the only cash winner, EVERYONE WINS with more knowledge about the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers – RADON – To learn more or schedule your home to be professionally tested for radon visit www.RadonAdvisor.com
Thanks, Jason Moss
RADON ADVISOR – Saving Lungs and Lives