Officials confirm that the teen who suffered an allergic reaction to something he ate at Tuesday died the following day at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.
"Fifteen-year-old old Jahrell Dillard, of Lawrenceville, was at the Walmart in Loganville Tuesday when he picked up a cookie and took a bite," said Detective David Hunt of the . "The cookie contained peanuts and, having a history of allergies to peanuts, he went into anaphylatic shock and succumbed to the effects."
Hunt said the police department has concluded its investigation.
"The family was aware of his allergies and reported a history of asthma and allergies to peanuts," Hunt said, adding there would be no further investigation by the LPD. "We offer our prayers for the comfort of the family."
and Walton County Emergency Medical Services Unit Med 4 responded to the call from Walmart Tuesday evening and transported Dillard to . He was then lifeflighted to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta where he died the following day.
Loganville Fire Chief Danny Roberts said it is not uncommon to have calls from such a severe reaction to a food allergy, especially peanuts. According to Wikipedia, hypersensitivity to a dietary substance from peanuts can cause an overreaction of the immune system which in a small percentage of people, may lead to severe physical symptoms, including anaphylaxis.