.

Teen Who Suffered Allergic Food Reaction Dies

Jahrell Dillard, 15, of Lawrenceville, died Wednesday after he suffered an allergic reaction to a cookie he bit into at the Walmart in Loganville.

Officials confirm that the teen who suffered an allergic reaction to something he ate at Tuesday died the following day at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta.

"Fifteen-year-old old Jahrell Dillard, of Lawrenceville, was at the Walmart in Loganville Tuesday when he picked up a cookie and took a bite," said Detective David Hunt of the . "The cookie contained peanuts and, having a history of allergies to peanuts, he went into anaphylatic shock and succumbed to the effects." 

Hunt said the police department has concluded its investigation. 

"The family was aware of his allergies and reported a history of asthma and allergies to peanuts," Hunt said, adding there would be no further investigation by the LPD. "We offer our prayers for the comfort of the family."

and Walton County Emergency Medical Services Unit Med 4 responded to the call from Walmart Tuesday evening and transported Dillard to . He was then lifeflighted to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta where he died the following day.

Loganville Fire Chief Danny Roberts said it is not uncommon to have calls from such a severe reaction to a food allergy, especially peanuts. According to Wikipedia, hypersensitivity to a dietary substance from peanuts can cause an overreaction of the immune system which in a small percentage of people, may lead to severe physical symptoms, including anaphylaxis. 

MamaKat Orr August 18, 2011 at 04:29 PM
I am so, so sorry to hear this. Many hugs and prayers going out for the family. :(
Food Allegic Multicultural Society of DE August 18, 2011 at 06:06 PM
My God give them comfort. This is a parent's worse nightmare.
Kelly Dockter Higgins August 18, 2011 at 06:19 PM
So sad for what this family is now going through! Risk vs. reward, the risk is way too great Wal-Mart and other grocery stores to have peanuts out available to sample. A child will never be right 100% of the time, and it's not fair for this result when he's wrong. This never should have happened.
Robin Comey August 18, 2011 at 08:13 PM
Not knowing the whole story, but he absolutely should have carried his epipen or Walmart should have one available and know how to use it (esp. if it was a sample item).
Susan Danneman Deering August 18, 2011 at 08:17 PM
My Food Allergy child is 9 and he knows to never take anything from anyone for just this reason! My heart breaks for this family
Brian Hom August 18, 2011 at 09:49 PM
Another tragic story as my 18 year old son BJ loss his life from anaphylactic shock from unknowlingly eating a mousse dessert that contained traces of peanuts on July 1, 2008. He had an epi pen at age 2 but doctors never re-newed for 16 years as benadryl seem to relieve all allergic symptoms. But lesson learned was even though you might have mild allergic reactions to food it does not preclude that you may not have an anaphylactic show on your next incident. Carry an epi-pen and never leave home without it. It will be your cheapest life insurance. Please support the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network BJ Hom Memorial 5K Run in San Jose, CA on Sat. Oct. 8, 2011. Visit this website for more information - http://www.foodallergywalk.org/site/TR/2011Walks/2011Walks?fr_id=2020&pg=entry
Isel Whiteley August 19, 2011 at 12:21 AM
This story is my worst nightmare and completely breaks my heart. Prayers going out to the family. :(
Katie August 19, 2011 at 12:23 PM
I can't even begin to imagine the heartache and pain this Family is going through. My daughter almost lost her life due to an unlabeled ingredient on a food label at Winn Dixie, if I didn't give her a second Epipen she wouldn't be here today. My only hope now is that the world comforts this Family, nothing will replace their son...but loving and comforting words will show them the support they need to get up in the morning.
Kristin McDuffie August 25, 2011 at 03:56 PM
Such a tragedy on all sides. Prayers to this child's family.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »