As promised, here is the recipe for the chicken curry served by Patch at the Hot Tamale Chili Cookoff in Grayson on Nov. 3, 2012.
Recipe for Sweet and Tangy Chicken Curry
- 3 Large onions, sliced
- 3 Garlic cloves, diced
- 4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons of South African Curry Powder (can be purchased online from Cape Food and Beverage in Atlanta)
- 3 Bay leaves
- 3 Anise stars
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Handful of coriander seeds
- 2 Blocks Chicken Bouillon (Preferably Knorr brand)
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tomatoes
- 4 Medium Potatoes, chopped into small pieces
- 3 Tablespoons Apricot Preserve
- 2 Pound chicken of your choice (breasts, thighs) diced
- Saute onions and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add 2 Tablespoon of curry powder, 3 bay leaves, 3 anise stars, 1 tsp cumin, coriander seeds, chicken bouillon, salt and apricot.
- Add chopped tomatoes and raw chicken.
- Cover and cook on medium heat until chicken is tender – stir to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Reduce heat to low slow cook until chicken is tender.
- Add potatoes, cover and cook until potatoes are tender.