In the lead up to the Final Four, Taste of Home has picked some recipes that perfect for a March Madness TV Tailgate party. These recipes were chosen from home cooks across the country. Each of them is featured in this month's print and digital editions of Taste of Home. They were offered to Loganville-Grayson Patch to share and we will be featuring one a day this week. Here is today's contribution.
March Madness Miniature Peppers
Prep: 55 mIn. • Bake: 20 mIn.
Yield: 2 dozen
- 24 miniature sweet red peppers
- 4 oz. ground turkey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
1. Cut and reserve tops off peppers; remove seeds. If necessary, cut thin slices from pepper bottoms to level; set aside peppers.
2. In a large skillet, cook the turkey, mushrooms, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in 1 cup tomato sauce, rice, cheeses and seasonings; spoon into peppers. Place upright in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Spoon remaining tomato sauce over peppers; replace pepper tops.
4. Cover and bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until heated through and peppers are crisp-tender.