Snellville's Walmart Neighborhood Market Opens Wednesday
The store is the second of its kind in Georgia.
(Editor's note: the following is a press release provided by Mitchell Communications.)
Snellville’s Walmart Neighborhood Market will open Wednesday, Aug. 29, providing residents a convenient location to pick up all their grocery needs, including fresh produce. The new Snellville Walmart Neighborhood Market, located at 2912 W. Main St., is the second of its kind in the state of Georgia.
“We welcome the Walmart Neighborhood Market to the city of Snellville. We are excited about the new and innovative concept of a fresh market grocery store and are grateful for the jobs that it will generate in the Snellville community. I look forward to a continued partnership with Walmart,” said Snellville Mayor Kelly Kautz.
The Evermore Community Improvement District invites everyone to join in welcoming the Walmart Neighborhood Market to U.S. 78.
"We believe this store will be a real catalyst for the district. Only through a strong, collaborative effort has the decision to locate the store been realized,” said Chris Garner, board chairman of Evermore Community Improvement District.
New Store Features
Walmart first opened Walmart Neighborhood Markets in 1998, and now operates nearly 200 stores across the country. There are plans to add approximately 80 nation-wide this fiscal year. The smaller store format is designed to provide quick and convenient shopping for groceries, pharmacy items and general merchandise.
The 41,000-square-foot Snellville store, which will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, will feature a self serve deli, a wide variety of locally grown fruits and vegetables, as well as meats, cheeses and prepared foods. In addition to the fresh produce and bakery items, the store will carry a full line of groceries, including frozen foods, meat and dairy products, kosher, Hispanic, Latino and organic items, as well as beer and wine.
Shoppers will appreciate the convenience of the store’s pharmacy, which includes a drive-thru, along with a full selection of health-related products and a health and beauty area. Additional areas include baby supplies, household items, stationery, paper goods, pet products, hardware items and a Celebration Station, where customers can buy gift wrap and gift bags, greeting cards and party supplies. Customers can also print their own digital photos at the store.
Community Groups Benefit from Grand-Opening Grants
As part of the grand-opening celebration, $6,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation will be presented to local community groups. Gwinnett County Goodwill Industries is one of the recipients. Additional funds will be available throughout the year for local organizations that serve the community and impact causes Walmart customers care about. Interested groups can visit http://foundation.walmart.com for more information.
Store associates will host a grand-opening celebration at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 29. Store associates and local dignitaries will participate in a brief ceremony, followed by a ribbon-cutting where doors to the new store will be opened to the public. Special events on grand-opening day, and continuing through the weekend, include character appearances, product giveaways and samplings, while supplies last.
Approximately 85 part- and full-time jobs were created by the store’s opening. As of July 2012, the average wage for regular, full-time hourly associates in Georgia is $12.58 per hour.
Store manager Robert Burnett began his Walmart career in 2003 as an assistant manager at a store in Winder, Ga. Last year, Walmart promoted more than 161,000 people and nearly three fourths of store management teams started out in hourly positions. Pharmacy manager Lauren Urbizo is a graduate of Mercer University in Macon.
• Location: 2912 W. Main St., Snellville, Ga.
• 41,000-square-foot Walmart Neighborhood Market
• Store opens Wednesday, Aug. 29, following a 7:30 a.m., ribbon-cutting ceremony
• Store manager: Robert Burnnett
• 24 hours a day, seven days a week
• Full line of groceries, including a bakery, self-serve deli, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, frozen foods and organic items, kosher, Hispanic and Latino items, and beer and wine
• Additional merchandise includes health and beauty aids, baby items, household products, pet and cleaning products, hardware and stationery.
• Convenience services include a pharmacy, digital photo processing center, Site-to-Store and Pay With Cash.
• $6,000 in grants from Walmart and the Walmart Foundation to local organizations
• Store will employ approximately 85 associates
• The average wage at Walmart for full-time hourly associates in Georgia is approximately $12.56 per hour.*
• Walmart’s benefit program is available to eligible full- and part-time associates and provides a variety of affordable health and well-being benefits including health care coverage with no lifetime maximum. Walmart also offers eligible associates matching 401(k) contributions of up to 6 percent of pay, discounts on general merchandise, an Associate Stock Purchase Program and company-paid life insurance. Additionally, eligible associates receive a quarterly incentive based on store performance.