Election Guide for Loganville/Grayson
Besides the presidential election in November, there are several local, state and federal races as well as TSPLOST on the table for Loganville and Grayson residents to decide in 2012.
There are several contested races that are of interest to Loganville and Grayson residents. There also is the highly controversial TSPLOST that will be on the ballot this year. Many of them will be decided on July 31 - or in a runoff. Others, like the presidential race, will be decided in November.
Redistricting has changed some of the landscape and it is possible that some precincts have changed. If you have any confusion as to which voting precinct you are in, this can be clarified here on the Secretary of State's website.
You can find all the important election dates here. Voters need to register by July 2 in order to vote in the upcoming primary elections on July 31.
Patch plans to keep you informed of those races that will have most impact on the local area. These are some of those races. If there are others that are not covered here, but you would like to know more about, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Walton County Residents:
Board of Commission Races
- Walton County Commission District Race - Incumbent Chairman Kevin Little faces a challenge from former Commissioner Gerald Atha
- Incumbent District 2 Commissioner Chuck Bagley faces a challenger from former Walton County Board of Education member Mark Banks and newcomer Terry Mitchell.
- Three candidates are facing off for the open seat of Walton County Probate Court Judge to replace retiring Judge Greg Adams. These are Walton County attorneys Lori Duff and Sheryl Fambrough and Walton County Chief Deputy Bruce Wright.
Gwinnett County Residents
Board of Commission Race
- Incumbent District 3 Commissioner Mike Beaudreau faces a challenge from former mayor of Snellville Jerry Oberholtzer and newcomers Mike Korom and Tommy Hunter.
Gwinnett County Courts
Georgia House of Representative District 105
- Republican newcomers Damon Ladd Thomas and Joyce Chandler face off in the Republican Primary on July 31. The winner will run against the winner of the Democratic primary between Renita Hamilton and Dr. Malik Rashid.
Walton and Gwinnett County Residents:
U.S. Congressional District 10
Georgia House of Representatives District 114
- District 107 incumbent Rep. Tom Kirby will face off against newcomer Rodney Upton for the newly formed District 114 in the July 31 Primary.
On July 31, voters will head to the polls to decide whether or not to impose an additional 1 percent sales tax on every purchase made for the next 10 years. Gwinnett County is in the metro Atlanta District and Walton County is in the Northeast Georgia district. The proceeds from this tax will fund a specified list of transportation projects with some left over for discretionary spending for local municipalities.
- Vote for TSPLOST? Not a Chance
- Elected Officials to Hold Wireside Chats on TSPLOST
- Gov. Deal Strongly Endorses TSPLOST
Look in our Elections Guide for more information on all these candidates and races. We will refeature and add more polls as the election date nears.