Dog Perishes in Fire, Family and Pet Squirrel Uninjured
House sustains extensive damage after “control burn” outside of garage area spreads to residence.
A Lawrenceville family escaped injury after a Monday afternoon fire extensively damaged a Suwanee Trace residence.
The Jan. 2 blaze, which broke out shortly after 2 p.m., resulted in the death of the family’s pet dog. Two other dogs were rescued by firefighters. The family’s pet squirrel is believed to be uninjured.
“The pet squirrel was seen by firefighters exiting the residence when they were making entry and is presumed ok,” said Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services public information officer Lt. Eric Eberly in a released statement.
All five family members -- three adults and two tenants -- were outside and uninjured when fire crews arrived. The cause of the fire has been listed as accidental. According to a fire department press release, the blaze started when a “control burn” conducted by the homeowner outside the garage area spread to the residence.
The Red Cross was called to assist the displaced family.